Alex Brown Racing on Twitter

Racing News

Barbaro Updates: 1015 Update 6255: My piece, on Barbaro: Legacy of a Champion... more > (1996)

Barbaro Updates: 1014 updates are now here. Update 6251: I am making some... more > (1168)

Barbaro Updates: 1013 Update 6233: Book ordering options for direct purchases: To order... more > (298)

News Archive

July 2005
    June 2005

Search

Barbaro Updates: 476

updates are now here.

Update 2934: A Friday update from Penny at timwoolleyracing.com:

At least this morning (Friday) was not windy yet it was still a bit cold. As I left the barn earlier Luke was standing in the porta pad sleeping in the sunlight. Tomorrow will be a big breeze day. Paris, Rocky, Sand and Song, and a few others will all work on the Tapeta track. Binkly the new barn cat is doing his part in keeping the rodent population at bay. He has learned quickly and sure enjoys being a barn cat. Real Lace will be running tomorrow and looks to be in a good spot. Hopefully she will run well and be safe. Powdered Donut is quite the Hudini. Strict attention must be paid to leaving her cross tie up without the webbing to hold her in. She nips right under the cross tie. What possesses a horse to crouch down and go under a cross tie I will never know. We all had a good laugh as she meandered to the hay pile like this behavior was normal. Anyway, we will update tomorrow after the works to keep you all up to speed.

Update 2933: Eclipse Award finalists have been announced with plenty of familiar names: Curlin Tops Eclipse Finalists

Update 2932: Warmer than yesterday morning at Sam Houston Race Park, but not too warm. We had nine sets today which included a few workers which kept our jocks busy all morning. For me it was a very pleasant morning with all horses (bar perhaps one) going very nicely. During break time I went to the kitchen, and then to see David Rollinson (friend and steward) and we watched a race from Sedgfield. David also has a bunch of peppermints on his desk, I took a few back for me ... and our pony.

I am sure I have said it before, but this dirt race track is very good to train over. I think Steve agrees hence why we have so many horses here. I had planned to travel west but asked our assistant this morning about staying for the entire meet. Seems that will work assuming nothing goes drastically wrong. After we were done I hung out with Cash (Asmussen) a little. I am still in awe that he gallops here, one of the best riders to sit on a horse for sure. A good morning's work.

Update 2931: The first 3yo stakes race at Gulfstream Park and thus a very early Derby prep, is being run on Saturday, the Hutcheson Stakes: Zito Sends Out Two in Hutcheson.

Keep calling and writing.

Comments

Tell your friends about ABR!!

Posted by: Rob at January 4, 2008 11:09 AM

Hiya, FsOB! This AM I forwarded a thread to a # of friends in CT that I received from a FOB. According to the thread's author, there are apparently some highly serious issues that Gov. Huckabee has in regard to animal welfare. Is it possible that any elected public official in the USA would publicly admit to eating (I hate this term) horsemeat? An appalling thought.

#### To Kathy in SC: Glad to see you back last PM. I hope that the New Year brings you joy. Please give Cooper a pet for me and tell him that Ms. Nikita is a couch-lover, too. She has been very frisky over the past day, though, wanting to go out in her portion of the yard to be in the cold.
    To Laurie: How sweet of you to show such concern for Nipper. I'm glad that the stable owner brings the horses in during such cold weather.
    To Margie: I am so sorry that you had such a loss two years ago and that it occurred in such a disturbing manner. Your presence must have been such a comfort to your dog Jake. ####

Posted by: Robyn Hoffmann at January 4, 2008 11:43 AM

Huckabee nor Obama, is my choice.
    Keep calling and stay warm, it is really cold in Pa.

Missing Barbaro

Posted by: Carol Nichols at January 4, 2008 12:38 PM

Prayers for all Fans of Barbaro who have been subjected to a variety of severe weather conditions, and hugs and sympathy to those who have sadly started the new year with the loss of beloved furbabies...it NEVER gets any easier to lose one of our treasured companions!

CALL-FAX-CALL...we ARE being heard, we will CONTINUE to be heard...and we WON'T go away until the AHSPA is the law of the land!

Nancy

Posted by: Nancy in CT at January 4, 2008 12:39 PM

Good Friday Morning FOBs - TGIF for the first Friday of 2008!

I wish there a way we could question each presidential candidate as to their position on horse slaughter. For those who already co-sponsor the bill, we know, but it would be great to know the position of the others.

Have a great day everyone!!
    Janice
    A forever FOB

Posted by: Janice from Florida at January 4, 2008 12:40 PM

Morning skritches to the BBH, Sir JH, Gorgeous George and all of the rest of the wonderful gang in Equine Heaven...!

As for down below
    MORNING POST SHELLEY A, DEBRA, WI

STRATEGY FOR FRIDAY JANUARY 4

It’s great to see everyone getting back in the groove with renewed determination to succeed. May 2008 see all of your dreams come true and may we celebrate the end of horse slaughter once and for all!!

Our voices have been heard and the support has grown. When we look back over last year, we should all be very proud of our accomplishments. There are no slaughter houses operating in this country, awareness has been heightened and, because of you, many thousands of horses have been saved. We are beginning 2008 with 191 cosponsors in the House and 38 cosponsors in the Senate. We are actually in a better position because some of the big, time consuming issues like the Farm Bill are out of the way. There will now be time for other issues to be addressed when Congress returns later this month.

The strategy will remain the same until Congress comes back or until we are told otherwise. We will keep the pressure on the leadership to get S311 put on the calendar quickly or to support any legislation that contains language to end horse slaughter and the transportation of American horses to slaughter.

Senate Majority Leader: Harry Reid ph: 202-224-3542 fax: 202-224-7327

Senate Minority Leader: Mitch McConnell ph: 202-224-2541 fax: 202-224-2499

Senate President Pro Tempore Robert S. Byrd ph: 202 224-3954 fax: 202-228-0002

Assistant Majority Leader Dick Durbin ph: 202-224-2152 fax: 202-228-0400

Assistant Minority Leader Jon Kyl Ph: 224-4521 Fax: 202-224-2207

It’s been a long, sometimes discouraging road, however, you have all worked so hard to get this far. As we move forward, let us never forget Barbaro’s legacy and what brought us all together. He left us a task to complete…..let’s get this done!!!!

We are BARBARO's VOICE.....let it be heard!!

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Shelley and Debra

Posted by: ShelleyA at January 4, 2008 12:19 AM

Cheers,
    Friar Tuck

Posted by: Friar Tuck at January 4, 2008 12:43 PM

Good Morning Barbaro

ACN...and I have miss you so much....glad you are happy and free...we love you so much...have a wonderful day.

Good Morning Family/Fans of Barbaro

I have miss all of you so much...so happy to be here among friends and family. The whole world could not have a family like this...but I do...and so proud of all of you.

Please call, fax, email.....please let us get this nightmare of horse slaughter behind us and move on....we have many unfinished tasks to do....and Barbaro is leading the way....his performance shall prevail.

Please be careful with the extreme bad weather...be safe and warm...remember and help our rescues, our Fallen Angels, our family, the ones suffering human or animal, our wildlife, and each other.

Have a nice day.

####
    Good Morning Alex....last time I remember you were taking sailing lessons....
    Good Morning Tim and Fair Hill.
    Our Fallen Angels...we are here...we are moving on...WE GET IT!!!!

Posted by: joan roya at January 4, 2008 1:41 PM

I'd like to thank everyone for their sincere sympathy for my loss of Clancy (Pretty Girl). Last night it was very difficult to open the door & not see her wagging her tail, waiting for a kiss.
    She passed at home, lying in one of her favorite spots. She had Lupus & we were given about 1 1/2 years of additional life for her.
    I had just viewed Mary L's video tribute to the fur babies lost in 2007. There was some peace in knowing she was met by so many other loved pets.
    Equine Heaven, you have no idea how much comfort you bring to so many. Hearing the tales & knowing the spirit of our beloved family goes on.
    Anna, I share your grief. Our kitty cat, Chip, is almost 20 years old. He was the runt of a garage litter. But still has the presence of a king.
    Kathyk

Posted by: kathykeenan at January 4, 2008 1:44 PM

Good morning Everyone,
    Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Heat wave is coming tomorrow...35 degrees, Monday 54 degrees scortcher.

Good morning Sweet Barbaro. Thank you for the beautiful sunshine.

Joan,
    I am so happy you are back.I hope all is well. (((((JOAN))))))

Posted by: Renee Antaya at January 4, 2008 1:49 PM

Good Morning Sweet Barbaro in Heaven!

Good morning Bobby's Lil Angel, Spirit, Jonah, Rosie, Misty and all the fabulous animals at MHR

Failure is NOT an Option!

For Barbaro, for Fitch, for Apache, for Ho'pats and all horses.

Ro & Brady

Posted by: Rosemarie at January 4, 2008 1:56 PM

###Good Morning everyone. Welcome back Joan Roya, you were missed. I hope you are feeling much much better, but don't overdo, ok?

My prayers to all the heartbroken FOB's who have lost their beloved furkids. It is so very hard to go on without them but time will heal the ache but not their memory.

Laurie H., it's so very good to read about Bart and his antics, you write so vividly I can picture him so well. And of course Montego and Nipper.

Angel Dee, I haven't thanked you for so long for all your beautiful uplifting words each day, you bring peace to my world.

And to all FOB's, your hard work and your campassion for the horses and to all animals, I say again, you are the greatest.

Barbaro, you are so very much in my, what a wonderful family you brought together, I miss your presence but know in my heart you are here with us each and every day. I love you.

((((TO ALL)))

Judy

Posted by: Judy Scott-Ont, Canada at January 4, 2008 1:58 PM

#################
    Daphne posted this yesterday, so make one more call if you can, the Atlanta Falcons need to know our feelings on this! Thanks

*** CROSS-POST FROM DISCUSSION BOARD REGARDING MICHAEL VICK- ACTION NEEDED*** PLEASE CALL!

Hi All,

Starting a new thread so we can all see this....

Forwarded from: Casey S

Hey guys! I know I'm a dog pyscho, but I need your help. Last night, the Atlanta Falcons (Michael Vick's former team) played the Saints on Monday Night Football. Almost all of the Falcons had Vicks initials and number taped onto their jerseys in support of him. Vick is a monster who drowned, hung, mutilated, starved, burned, beat, and shot countless innocent dogs, then showed little to no remorse for it in court. He is now serving 23 months in prison, which is a joke. He lied to teammates, coaches, and management about his acts. This is the phone number for the Falcons Front office:

770-965-3115

Ask for the media department and please let them know that the public will not stand for the support of this monster on National TV. Professional athletes have a responsibility to us, as they are heroes to many children, and are payed very well to represent our nations favorite sport. Please, please make the call, and forward this to as many people that you can. They won't listen to just me, but if they get enough complaints they'll have to do something about it. Again, sorry for the rant, but I'M PISSED. Thanks guys!

Casey__._,_.___

Posted by: Daphne at January 3, 2008 11:57 PM

Posted by: Debbie L.A. at January 4, 2008 2:01 PM

JOE UP ALL NIGHT IN THE STORM CHECKING ON THOSE 111 HORSES...WHAT A SCARY MESS...JOE AND CATHY ARE ARCHANGELS, SO THEY CAN HANDLE THIS, BUT THOSE BIG, TERRIFIED HORSES: TOUGH STUFF. 70MPH WIND, NO THANK YOU. GIMME THE SCREAMING SNOW ANYDAY.
    ************************************************
    Friday, January 4th...
    STORM UPDATE - 1:45 a.m. This is crazy. Monster winds and the rain is sideways. 111 horses on our ranch. On a quick trip to the barn there were many frightened horses.

I will continue to give updates as long as we have electricity. The television is saying winds could get up to 70 miles an hour. 4 or 5 inches of rain. The rain is suppose to be off and on all weekend.

I only wish this was happening during daylight so we could see the horses. I will be back.

UPDATE - 5:00 a.m. Probably the morning paper will not be delivered.

Just talked with Jodi in Dixon, and she says the worst is yet to come. Her winds are over 50 miles an hour. The heaviest rain will come later this morning. I wonder, how much heavier can it get? This is insane. This is California, home of softball and sunshine.

Just talked with Megan in Fairfield, and she has lost 2 trees. Megan has 23 horses on her ranch, and they are okay.

Just talked with Julia in Lincoln, and her barn is flooded. Almost a foot of water in her paddocks.

To everyone out there, be safe. Stay home. We will get through this. In a few months it will be 90 degrees with a new crop of flies.

Joe

Meet Adam. He comes to us very hungry from a feed lot in Elk Grove. Adam has a racing tattoo which says he is just 6 years old.

Top right is the yellow cat Squirrel, who has lived with us since 1997.

We have been begging Yolo County to fill the holes on our street, and yesterday they finally came. I have watched as joggers fall into these holes and disappear forever. But now we can drive down the street without blowing a tire.

Bottom right: 111 horses on our ranch, and they all need a bath.

Posted by: jonna at January 4, 2008 2:14 PM

December 21, 2007, 6:28 pm
    One of Huckabee’s Favorite Places

Laura Meckler reports from eastern Iowa.

Now that he has a bus for reporters, Mike Huckabee is taking the opportunity to do a little John McCain-style rolling conversation. Today, an hour long talk with reporters spanned religion, abortion, foreclosures, torture and clemency. Among the questioners was a reporter from Nova television in the Netherlands, and that gave Huckabee the chance to expound on his love for the country.

“It’s one of my favorite places,” he said, perhaps pandering to the Dutch Iowan vote. He named a couple of his favorite Dutch foods, including one made from horsemeat. Asked if it tasted like chicken, he confirmed: “Tastes like chicken.”

The Dutch reporter, Merel Meidema-Lust, had some serious questions, though Huckabee had mostly funny answers. She asked what bothers Iowans the most. “The other candidates,” Huckabee said. “They’re very bothered by them.”

Asked what his White House policy toward the Netherlands would be, Huckabee declined to offer any specifics. But he did say he liked the fact that the Dutch are “very plain spoken.” So much so, it seems, that when Huckabee invited someone he met there in 1976 to “come see us,” the young man replied, “OK, I will come. Let’s see, I can come next May. And he did.”

The man, whose name sounds like Turon Vendeler, but which Washington Wire has no idea how to spell, stayed with the Huckabees for a summer.

“Do you want him to come again?” the reporter asked. “Let me see if I get that nice house with all the extra guest rooms,” Huckabee replied.

Posted by: Renee Antaya at January 4, 2008 2:17 PM

Dear God please wrap Joe and Cathy and all others caught in this terrible weather. Please make sure that Lynne and Michell and Murphy are OK too...and their kitty.

Doggies politely waiting for their breakfast.
    ####
    Kathy SC: my soul gets lost too from time to time, like yesterday. There may have been 70mph INSIDE my little house by the way my head was feeling....

OK so better today, on we march....
    I send so much love and comfort to those who have recently lost their companion animals. That kind death is the greatest gift we can offer our animals...but make no mistake, it is so hard. But for God's grace and a group of wonderful Vets who
    will do what I want, and then stand there and cry with me...thank you God. I am blessed. j

Posted by: jonna at January 4, 2008 2:19 PM

Posted by: Debbie L.A. at January 4, 2008 2:28 PM

connent ??? Make that comments sorry LOL

Posted by: Debbie L.A. at January 4, 2008 2:30 PM

Love to Barbaro. love the Penny diaries. She is an upbeat person. Thanks Alex

Posted by: jane at January 4, 2008 2:42 PM

##

Good Friday Morning, ABR Famblee....Scarey here in these foothills of no/cal....:-0 High wind advisory sent to my in-box this morning, courtesy of KCRA TV-Sacramento....wind advisory in effect from 6A-4P....gusts to 75mph..OH GOODY :/ I cannot imagine Joe and Cathy and allllll those horses in all this WEATHER...in the DARK!!! I'm waiting for 'sun up' so at least I can SEE what all this 'noise' is outside!!! Chairs on my back porch...well, one of them, is NOT where it belongs.....and now poor Murphy needs to go o'side....oh DEAR...he's really in for a 'treat'....bbl8r

Lynne-Barbaro's Forever Friend in CA

Posted by: Lynne Brown at January 4, 2008 2:54 PM

The January Hay Ride for Miracle Horse Rescue is on. The theme is: MHR: Our Tribute to Barbaro Memorial Hay Wagon Ride

Very special prizes donated by dedicated FOB's.

Our Tribute to Barbaro Memorial Hay Wagon Ride

Ro & Brady

Posted by: Rosemarie at January 4, 2008 3:06 PM

Regarding Huckabee:
    Yes, the guy eats horses. This has been documented now from the gossip rag TMZ: http://www.tmz.com/2008/01/03/the-candidates-eat-it/ to several journalists he shared his "humor" with.
    What bothers me even more-so about this guy is that he is running on such a strong Christian conservative platform (I have my suspicions). However, apparently this guy does not read his Bible? (Leviticus, Deuteronomy????!!!!!)
    OR MAYBE WORSE --- HE DOESN'T OBEY THE BIBLE???? However, he is supposedly a devout Christian.

This guy stinks on a several levels (and I don't want to get into a whole nasty political debate with anyone), but does anyone out there think we could use this to launch this guy back to Arkansas and back up under the rock he came out from under?

I live in South Carolina and of course our primaries are coming up and will loom large on the political frontier as this race gets underway.

I am willing to do something to get this stupid statement the attention it deserves here in our state. What suggestions does anyone out there have? Do we make huge posters with him eating Mr. Ed on them and parade them up and down in front of the network and CNN reporters at rallies? The candidates will be doing a ton of stumping in our state after New Hampshire.

Honestly I am not a "crazy" and would like to do everything I can to get this statement attention.
    Thanks!
    Catherine Owen
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted by: Catherine at January 4, 2008 3:12 PM

Catherine,
    Huckabee, is an idiot!! Religion is not going to run this country, a smart person with a very good head on their shoulders is what is needed. And HE EATS HORSES...BASTA*&!!!!!!! I would never cast a vote for him.

Posted by: Renee Antaya at January 4, 2008 3:19 PM

##

Renee....HUCKABEE 'eats horses'????? Did he SAY that 'outloud'????? omG!!!!

Murphy has been o'side....came RIGHT back inside...thankfully, he is 'drugged' on his phenobarbital tablets...w/give another around 8:30...don't want him stressing!!! He shakes and tries to 'climb into our hair' when the wind is like this....I feel SO badly for him w/out his medication!!!

The wind advisory is due to expire around 4P...is it FOUR YETTTTTTTTT??? :-0

Joan Roya- SO GLAD TO SEE YOU 'HOME' AGAIN, Joan..rest/take care....xo

Lynne-Barbaro's Forever Friend in CA

Posted by: Lynne Brown at January 4, 2008 3:31 PM

####Catherine, Renee....

As far as Huckabee goes....I've always said that those that constantly talk about being a good Christian should hush up and do more to show it...lol. I won't offer my opionion of him personally but he is NOT good for the animals. We have more animal abuse and neglect here in the state than you could imagine. I know...I'm the one always picking up the starving pup or kitten someone dumped in the middle of nowhere. Also we can not get animal abuse from a misdemeaner to a felony although several times it has been tried. Check out his history on granting early release/pardons to prisoners ...will make your hair stand on end! I can't believe he ate horsemeat and joked about it...geeez...Tamme

Posted by: Tamme at January 4, 2008 3:32 PM

reposting from last post of last batch

Please sign the "Animals Matter To Me" Petition

Every day millions of animals are born to lives of unspeakable suffering. Every day millions more suffer terrible deaths.

The only way to stop this cycle of cruelty is to get an international agreement to end it.

Sadly, in many countries there is little national and no international protection for animals. Support a Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare [hot link provided at DB post]

A Universal Declaration accepted by the UN would:

Recognize animals as sentient beings, capable of suffering and experiencing pain.

Recognize that animal welfare is an issue of importance as a part of the social development of nations.

Act as a catalyst for better animal welfare provisions worldwide.

The declaration would have a real, long-term impact on the welfare of billions of animals worldwide! Sign now [notlink at DB post]

Thank you for taking part in the most ambitious global initiative on animal welfare that has ever been attempted. Your signature will be one more toward the goal of 10 million signatures on the "Animals Matter to Me" petition.

Breeana L.
    Care2 and ThePetitionSite Team

Posted by: C. Jaffe at January 4, 2008 10:28 AM

Posted by: C. Jaffe at January 4, 2008 3:38 PM

Lynne,
    That came from Habitat for Horses news letter in Tx.

Tamme,
    I agree. Good post.

Posted by: Renee Antaya at January 4, 2008 3:38 PM

From our GH lists: a cell phone company saying, if your cell phone company would overcharge THIS guy, what do you think they'd do to YOU? Too bad this isn't a nationally run spot....

(Notice the broken legs dogs in Bill's load. greys do just fine in rehab on three legs...unlike horses.)

Posted by: jonna at January 4, 2008 3:47 PM

Coming up on Animal Miracles on Animal Planet, NOW, segment on autistic boy and therapy horse.

Posted by: C. Jaffe at January 4, 2008 3:48 PM

Never did warm up to Huckabee anyway. And all those folks will be heading here to SC soon....blech!

To those who have recently lost their furbabies...I am so sorry...I know it hurts. You loved them so...and they knew it.

Joan Roya...I am getting that you have not been well...I hope you are okay.

Hi Jonna. Hi Robyn. Hi everyone. Belated Happy New Year to you all.

Jerry (Slew Reigns) is starting that "Who is this Horse" thread he used to do on the DB today or tonite. I never had a clue, but a great way to learn about some of the great ones.

Lynne Laddeeeatthefennnnce Brown...no zooming about for you today. You and Murph stay put! No updates from Joe in a couple hours...if someone calls him, please post here..

Have a nice day everyone...we are going to rise above freezing today....

Posted by: Kathy in SC at January 4, 2008 3:51 PM

FYI FOR ALL CALLERS:
    Just FOUND OUT THAT BOBBY JINDAL (LA) won his race for Governor and so will be resigning from the House....Okay then. I am sure we're all thrilled fro him, and hope a horse-loving soul goes into Jindal's House seat...

Posted by: jonna at January 4, 2008 3:54 PM

##

Jonna!!! YES!! Maybe we will ACTUALLY get a LA Rep who CARES ABOUT THE HORSESSSSSSS:) I'll at least hold onto that optimistic thought!!!

Lynne-Barbaro's Forever Friend in CA

Posted by: Lynne Brown at January 4, 2008 4:02 PM

#####
    thank you family for your wishes....
    yes I am here....not to par...but here...
    but whatever I can do to help my family and horses, and all animals...100 percent they will get....love all of you.

Posted by: joan roya at January 4, 2008 4:17 PM

I Love So So A Lot So Angel Judy Scott-Ont In Canada. You Are In My Heart So A Lot. All, All Beautiful Glowing Rainbows To You.

You Are A Wonderful Angel On This Earth.

You Bring A Lot Of Joy To My Heart.

Angel Of Love........

Affirmed

Posted by: Dee Mirich at January 4, 2008 4:22 PM

All, All Angelic Beautiful Glowing Rainbows To Joan Roya. I Love You So A Lot So.

Affirmed

Posted by: Dee Mirich at January 4, 2008 4:24 PM

Saw a post by John Holland requesting help stopping a broadcast of an AQHA event in Oklahoma City on January 12th. As most of you know AQHA is a strong opponent of the AHSPA legislation.

Please go the Discussion Board for John Holland's full post. It is posted under, "Anti Slaughter Issues - NBC Broadcast of AQHA Horse Show"

Posted by: Jennie (Kentucky) at January 4, 2008 4:28 PM

Halos........Two Of Them........Connected........
    In Love........

Affirmed Rainbows........
    Sacred Prayers........

Affirmed

Posted by: Dee Mirich at January 4, 2008 4:45 PM

### Joan, I have been worried about you, glad to see you here..email me with details..

Posted by: Harriette Brillianthawk at January 4, 2008 4:54 PM

HI everybody,

let me reiterate what Jennie ( Kentucky) says above:

please go to the anti-slaughter site and read NBC to broadcast AQHA Horse Show. There is a number to call
    NBC in New York ( yall are used to calling by now, I am )
    Just ask for the comment line . This will only take a second of your time, and NBC will get a different view of this .

Posted by: Bobbie B. at January 4, 2008 5:26 PM

Finally.......HERE!

Posted by: Margie at January 4, 2008 5:40 PM

Hay Fambleeeee
    Happy to see everyone here. Hope everyone is well and those who are suffering losses are feeling the love and support of your famblee here

Good to see you back, Joan R Hope you are feeling well. You to Nancy Naughty Nutmegger

Alex, pass me a peppermint please?

Will check in later

Posted by: Cheryl Jones on or about but not at January 4, 2008 5:42 PM

That was so sweet of you Alex. Peppermints for the pony.

Posted by: Margie at January 4, 2008 5:58 PM

I just wrote a comment to gov. Huckabee telling him that he offended and alientaed millions of Americans when he said this favorite Dutch dish was made with horsemeat. I mentioned in all the polls on the subject that Americans overwhelmingly want the slaughter of our horses for human comsupmtion stopped. I am now actively campaigning against him. Even if he tried to apoligize, I would never believe him. the fact that he joked about it makes it even worse.

Posted by: Patty in Dallas at January 4, 2008 6:30 PM

Patty in Dallas - what address did you use?

Posted by: Margie at January 4, 2008 6:37 PM

###Thank you Dee.

Judy

Posted by: Judy Scott-Ont, Canada at January 4, 2008 7:09 PM

Patty in Dallas,
    I stand beside you, and will do the same.

Alex,
    What a great post,how nice of you to share your peppermints.

Posted by: Renee Antaya at January 4, 2008 7:17 PM

New Update!!!

Slew and Barbaro would like to know WHO's got the stash of peppermints? (Mostly Slew wanted to know, but now ALL the Heavenly equines want to know--STAMPEDE!)

Posted by: Equine Heaven at January 4, 2008 7:30 PM

Has anyone else seen this? It's on the Chicago Tribune Website, 2nd story!

chicagotribune.com

Warrant issued for owner of horses in fatal Wadsworth accident

By Andrew L. Wang

Tribune staff writer

12:13 PM CST, January 4, 2008

Lake County authorities have issued an arrest warrant for the owner of dozens of Belgian draft horses involved in a trailer accident that killed 18 of the animals.

Keith Tongen, 49, of Brownton, Minn., was charged in a warrant issued Wednesday with four misdemeanor counts of cruel treatment of animals and one count of failure to provide humane care and treatment of animals, according to court records.

Assistant State's Atty. Dan Kleinhubert said today that authorities had not yet located Tongen.

The truck's driver, James Anderson, 34, faces identical charges, according to a copy of his warrant. Kleinhubert said Anderson, of McLeod, N.D., may appear in bond court Monday.

Bail for both men was set at $100,000.

The Oct. 27 crash happened at U.S. Highway 41 and Wadsworth Road in Wadsworth. About 60 horses were being transported from Indiana to Minnesota in a double-decker trailer that authorities said was designed for cattle and swine, not horses. Some of the Belgians were more than 6 feet tall and weighed several hundred pounds.

The trailer collided with another vehicle and toppled over, trapping the horses inside. Firefighters, veterinarians and horse enthusiasts from the area spent hours extricating the horses from the wreck.

alwang@tribune.com

Posted by: kathyb at January 4, 2008 7:36 PM

GREAT NEWS re warrants issued for driver and owner re the Wadsworth fatal doubledecker accident! Thank you for posting.

Posted by: C. Jaffe at January 4, 2008 7:45 PM

Hello Family.

I am so sorry for all the losses of our beloved fukids. My heart and deepest sympathy goes out to each and everyone of you.

Joan, I hope you are feeling better soon.

I am with you all when it comes to Huckabee. He needs to know how we and MANY others feel. Not that I think it would change HIM, just his approach.

So glad to read that the owner and truck driver will be headed to jail, at least until bail is made. Hopefully, they will be sentenced to some jail time for what they have done. To bad they could only be charged with misdemeanors.

Lynne... Stay put and hold on to something. Read that the wind gusts could be as high as 100MPH, we don't need you visiting the land of OZ, we need you here :)

Love to all,

Verna

Posted by: Verna1 at January 4, 2008 7:51 PM

COMMENTS NEEDED to rebut pro-slaughter comments

crossposting from the DB (post by marvesmom)

18420.1

I don't know how many of you are aware of this site but there is a thread on S311 that needs anti-slaughter comments. So far they are mostly pro and, as usual, very misinformed. Please note: the average cost to Americans, once this bill passes, is a piddly 22 cents per year. Cheap compared to some of the others.

Time to get going again guys!!

Thanks.

Joyce

Posted by: C. Jaffe at January 4, 2008 8:08 PM

Kate here - I know the power of pray. My husband had back surgery last Saturday and last night I had to take him to the ER and they said he has pneumonia. Please pray for him and that the infection does not spread to his incisions. Thanks so much.

Posted by: Kate in Canyon Lake, TX at January 4, 2008 8:15 PM

Comments were posted by me CJ.

Posted by: Renee Antaya at January 4, 2008 8:22 PM

Prayer for wisdom for the docs handling Katie's husband's illnesses....

Posted by: jonna at January 4, 2008 8:45 PM

Prayers going out to Kate's Husband.

###Renee, saw your comment as I was leaving mine.
    Nice to see some FOB names there.

Love,
    Verna

Posted by: Verna1 at January 4, 2008 8:48 PM

Our friend Michael Matz just had a nice win at Gulfstream with VISIONAIRE, very well-ridden by Jose Lezcano!

Please pray for Jennys on Radio, who is in a $16,000 claimer at Aqueduct at 4:18 pm Eastern...for some reason, races from Aqueduct aren't allowed on HRTV or TVG - don't know what that's about, but evidently there's no live streaming video either.
    BARB M - you know much more about racing than I do...any info?

Posted by: Nancy in CT at January 4, 2008 8:56 PM

Praying for Kate's husband and sending angels to take care of him and Kate.

Verna,
    I had to do it. I Believe in Red,White and Barbaro!

Posted by: Renee Antaya at January 4, 2008 9:00 PM

The other day the commentators at TVG were saying something about "paperwork" involving "NYRA" and that it would be worked out and Aqueduct would soon again be broadcast via TVG. I hadn't heard anything beyond that.

Posted by: C. Jaffe at January 4, 2008 9:01 PM

####
    Prayers to Kate's husband, and all that is suffering with a loss or illness....human or furbaby or horsie.....

Also...prayers to those who are facing this extreme crazy weather.....please be safe....we need all of you.

For Huckabee and his comment about horsemeat....he is walking on the wrong grounds for saying such.....I am truly surprise that Chuck Norris would be by his side....if this was true????? Anyone who eats horsemeat...DOES NOT HAVE MY VOTE!!!!!

Goodnight Barbaro

Have not caught up on all of your and your frens fun and games in heaven lately or how your Christmas and New Year's was....but knowing all of you...I know it was grand....we love you!

Goodnight Family/Fans of Barbaro

We are rejoicing in a brand new year...we have alot to be thankful for...and we should each be so proud to be a FOB...there are so many things we have accomplished, saving horses, helping rescues, funding laminitis, and many others....big the biggest will be TO PASS THE BARBARO BILL.

Please continue to fax, call, email...we will be heard...the politicians are stating a time for a change...well we are too....stop this nightmare, stop transporting across the borders and save the mighty horse.

All the beautiful horses that were shown in the rose parade, etc...all the horses that are use as a companion, for therapy, for work, their lives are important...they do not deserve a tunnel of death....brutal death.

Please remember the rescues, our Fallen Angels, the ones suffering human or animal, our wildlife, and always our family, whom I truly love and miss......

Have a lovely evening.

####
    Alex...sounds like you like Texas.
    Tim and Fair Hill...thank you for your lovely update.
    Our Fallen Angels...we are here, and we are moving forward...we promise.

Posted by: joan roya at January 4, 2008 9:05 PM

### AMEN, FOB/Gemini Sister Renee !!!

Love,
    Verna

Posted by: Verna1 at January 4, 2008 9:06 PM

Love ya Sister Verna1!!!!!!!! ;)

Posted by: Renee Antaya at January 4, 2008 9:09 PM

Okay, I wrote in earlier this morning because I am so appalled at the "Mike Huckabee Eats Horses" thing. Since I am in South Carolina, I want to get as involved with this whole issue as I can because the "Creep" factor is just huge regarding this thing.

Some of my barn friends and I have decided that we are going to attend as many of his rallies as we can here in the Upstate of SC area ----And we are going to attend them WITH OUR HORSES!!!

We are thinking of putting huge signs on our horses sides that say something like "Please Don't Eat Me Mike!" and "Horses Don't Heart (symbol) Huckabee" (since he has made a big play on the heart symbol in his campaign).

We are also going to make up some big posters to carry that have some of the most horrid horse slaughter pictures we can find on them with the slogan "Mike, your dinner is waiting" or something like that.

Anybody have any better slogans we can use?
    God I hope my husband doesn't have to bail me out of jail on a disturbing the peace charge or something --- Do they take horses to jail too? Ha, ha, I hope my gelding can do a big pile of poop right where the creep has to step!!!!

Posted by: Catherine at January 4, 2008 9:15 PM

Alex-Love your post today. Glad to hear you are going to be able to stay in Houston for the rest of the meet. Sounds like it is an enjoyable place. Staying will give you more time to learn more sailing :)You'll be an accomplished sailor and horseman by the time you leave.

###Prayers for Joe and TB Friends. Hope they are still in one piece, safe and have power.

Posted by: Jennie (Kentucky) at January 4, 2008 9:17 PM

Re the call to the Atlanta Falcon's front office: they're out till the 7th AND their mailbox is FULL????!!! iMAGINE THAT...

Posted by: jonna at January 4, 2008 9:21 PM

Y'all it looks bad for those two huge beauties in Belgium...still around $1500 left to ransom. It's not their fault that the Euro is about.68 against the US dollar...two beautiful mares. The thought of them going to slaughter in Europe and getting eaten==makes me sick. Can you guys help--every little bit helps as you know...go look at them:

18287.2 in reply to 18287.1 please please...

Posted by: jonna at January 4, 2008 9:31 PM

###
    BARB M - Jennys on Radio was 1/2 of a coupled entry, and she was scratched...

Posted by: Nancy in CT at January 4, 2008 9:34 PM

Love to all my sisters and brothers here.

Like Martha says, "It's a good thing".

Posted by: Margie at January 4, 2008 9:37 PM

Margie,
    I saw your post on Washingtonwatch...Nice!

Posted by: Renee Antaya at January 4, 2008 9:41 PM

###
    You go Catherine.....sounds like you have it going for the safety of horses...

Posted by: joan roya at January 4, 2008 9:50 PM

#### I'd like to let Giuliani know there is fodder in his campaign against Huckabee. I briefly looked for a good place to contact Rudy. I'll search more when I get home.

There is a stink in Huckabee's campaign now.

Go Catherine!

###Renee, so was yours.

Posted by: Margie at January 4, 2008 9:57 PM

I read in the news last week that Huckabee's son was a camp counselor in 1998 and hung a dog from a tree. The campaign is obviousely trying to hush this up.

Posted by: chris byers at January 4, 2008 9:59 PM

Catherine

WOW !!! I think what you are planning to do is WONDERFUL !!! I'm SOOOO GLAD you are on our side!!!! Don't worry if you end up in dire straights???!!! FsOB will very happily raise your bail !!!! LOL
    LOOK OUT HUCKABEE you have the whole Barbaro Nation marching towards you.....

HUGS and love

Posted by: Maribel at January 4, 2008 10:06 PM

### Wondering if baby Huckabee trained Vick in those techniques?

Posted by: Margie at January 4, 2008 10:08 PM

Catherine -
    The FOBs will bail you out if necessary! I am in VA so I can come get you if necessary LOL.

I LOVE the "Please Don't Eat Me Mike" signs on your horses. That'll get the point across!

Posted by: LindaVA at January 4, 2008 10:12 PM

Margie,
    ROFL...you go girl!

WE ARE THE FAN'S OF BARBARO! Red white and Barbaro! Let's march and stomp forward. Yipppeeee!

Posted by: Renee Antaya at January 4, 2008 10:12 PM

Hi Margie,

There is a link to Huckabee's website that Debbie posted at 2:28PM. I used that link to leave a comment.

Posted by: Patty in Dallas at January 4, 2008 10:13 PM

Linda,
    I think we should just join her...think of the fun we will have.

Posted by: Renee Antaya at January 4, 2008 10:13 PM

Hey gang! What do Mike Huckabee and Michael Vick have in common? They have both tried to cover up dog hangings!

Thanks all the Friends of Barbaro for your support! Thank you LindaVA, Maribel, Joan Roya, and Margie and everyone else. We are REALLY going to march at this idiot Huckabee's rallies here in the Upstate of South Carolina (Greenville/Spartanburg) with our horses and some of the worst pictures of horse slaughter we can come up with.
    We need to make CNN and the networks with this and I don't give a damn if they want to arrest me for disturbing the peace or whatever --- I have a good lawyer and a right to assemble not to mention freedom of speech.
    Anyone wanting to join us in the Greenville/Spartanburg area, my direct email is catherineowen@bellsouth.net

Posted by: Catherine Owen at January 4, 2008 10:19 PM

My project tonight will be to write Huckabee and Giuliani.

Thanks Patty. See you all later.

Posted by: Margie at January 4, 2008 10:22 PM

Have a good weekend Everyone.

Barbaro, Peppermint dreams, and nickermaker days to you. I love you!

Posted by: Renee Antaya at January 4, 2008 10:23 PM

##

Better news for California...I'm hearing winds in Fairfield, about maybe an hour from Joe & Cathy are down to only 10-15mph!!! Still raining, but their winds have subsided...and we are told they WILL NOT be coming BACK:) The entire West side of the Sacramento Valley is out of the 'wind' now, in fact:) So Joe & Cathy and all those horseys in Woodland should be at least not blowing away anymore!!!

These Foothills are still VERY windy!!! Gosh!! The sound is awful! Gives me a 'real appreciation' for those of you who go through hurricanes!!! I'll be very interested to see tomorrow's local paper with the gusts reported!

Our trash men didn't come here today...I don't blame them one bit!! However, we got weary from going o'side and 'righting' the cans...I've put them away 'til tomorrow! A flower pot blew all the way down the hill from the other side of the house!!! And soooooo MANY little pieces of tree limbs are littering the roads and our yards..but so far at least, no trees have come down in the 'hood' that I know of:) While I was out there taking care of the trash cans, I kept hearing a 'ROARING' sound...like a REALLY BIG truck...kept looking around, and realized it is the WIND!!! I beat-feet back inside the house, Famblee....I'm a 'weenie':/

Alex: So VERY nice to read of your morning at work!!! It was awfully refreshing to feel your satisfaction and happiness with the track and it's peeples....and I, too, LOVE that you shared peppermints with the PONY:) Yippee-Skippy!!! :)

O.K., the wind advisory is to end here around 4P, that is 1.5 more hours...so hold good thoughts for us all in these foothills of no/cal....

Lynne-Barbaro's Forever Friend in CA

Posted by: Lynne Brown at January 4, 2008 10:32 PM

Blessings to Joe and Cathy and all of the FOBs battling the winter storm. ###well, I dont know who in the heck to vote for now. was leaning a lttle bit toward Huckabee but now he is out. I cant vote for anyone who eats horsemeat or condones. The problem is I dont like anyone running for pres. Hay, I would vote for Joe. ##I am so sorry for all of you that have lost loved pets. It just about knocks you down. Then we get up and go get more as we cant do without the love they give us. ###Hay! Chief isnt afraid of the furnace anymore. guess he got used to it or else has gone deaf. Someone came over with little kid today and chief is afraid of anyone under 4 ft. tall. scared to death of kids. does anyone now why some dogs are?

Posted by: sandra at January 4, 2008 10:37 PM

##

Sandra...:) Maybe Chief had a bad experience with a little child once....or, I think if dogs aren't introduced to people of all sizes, ages when young..they could surely have a 'fear' of whichever ones they didn't get socialized with early on in life...does that make sense??

Good for me to have something to concentrate on besides this horrendously LOUD RAGING WIND!!!! Dang!! No wonder Murphy needs 'downers'...I am beginning to think maybe one of them might do ME some good!!! lol!

Lynne-Barbaro's Forever Friend in CA

Posted by: Lynne Brown at January 4, 2008 10:48 PM

Lynne, you might try some HP herbal anxiety drops for Murphy. They really help Chief (who is anxious about everything). most vets carry it and it is cheap since it is not a prescription.

Posted by: sandra at January 4, 2008 10:51 PM

Lynne -ys you are right. chief I got chief when he was about 3 mos.(or so the vet thought) and he missed the important socialization he needed. ### All you Fobs stay as safe as you can in the wind. It is brutal. keep in touch so we will know you are okay.

Posted by: sandra at January 4, 2008 10:58 PM

The news that the owner and driver of the double-decker wreck in Wadsworth have been charged in Illinois with criminal offenses, with warrants out for their arrests, was just run as the Number 2 headline story on the 5 o'clock news out of CHicago on NBC.

Posted by: C. Jaffe at January 4, 2008 11:13 PM

And according to my Mother, it was also reported on Chicago's local ABC station 5:00 news.

Posted by: kathyb at January 4, 2008 11:17 PM

I am glad to hear that driver got something. Those drafts should NEVER been in a double decker. That's plain abuse in my book.

Posted by: Barb AZ, Chunky and Punky at January 4, 2008 11:25 PM

Might anybody know what's been happening with IMAWILDNCRAZYGUY? He came in 3rd from last in the Canadian Turf Handicap, earlier today. Had he been sick or injured, and possibly not feeling well? He trailed far back from the start.

My heart broke to see him lose like that. He did not even receive any sort of 'honorable" mention, either before or after the race.

(I just love that beautiful wild and crazy guy...sigh). If this hearalds the ebb of his racing days, I pray that they will retire him in dignity, with a "job o do," ala FUNNY CIDE.

Your FOB Fren, O

Posted by: Otherlyn at January 5, 2008 12:15 AM

JUST TALKED TO JOE AT TB FRIENDS!!!!

I couldn't stand it any more! They have power but no phone line to the house. Webmaster Max was supposed to put up a message. All the horses are okay. He said all the horses are okay! Winds have been 70mph, and he said everything is a mess, but they are okay.

Okay, as a weird observation, he didn't sound older at all. You know, how he says they are having the time of their senior citizen lives? Didn't sound that way to me.

Have a good night everyone...I hope that puts some minds at ease...it did for me.

Posted by: Kathy In SC at January 5, 2008 12:31 AM

Mr. Huckabee Your Grade Is F

Affirmed

Posted by: Dee Mirich at January 5, 2008 12:38 AM

I have e-mailed my dismay disgust with "the Huckster" concerning his callous actions.

I hav also e-mailed Fred Thompson, asking his opinion on the subject, and to ask how hHE would vote, if he were president, a S311 came to his desk to be signed.

Thus far, FRED seems to be the ONLY Republican that I would consider voting for.

All of the candidates should be asked the question. As far as I know, thus-far, Obama is the only co-sponsor or advocate-candidate for our anti-slaughter cause...however, I KNOW for certain, that he will not have my vote, next November, because of many otherissues.

Your FOB Fren, O

Posted by: Otherlyn at January 5, 2008 1:30 AM

There once was a guv'ner named Huckabee

Who ate horse for dinner and chuckled-he

He said, "Tastes like chicken!"

"The White House I'm winnin'!"

But the voters said, "You lose, you wannabee!"

Posted by: Susan in Saratoga at January 5, 2008 1:38 AM

Otherlyn, I believe Hillary and John McCain are also signed on as co-sposors for S.311. John McCain is on the Senate committee that voted it out of committee last winter, and he got the co-sponsor paperwork done during a busy week way back last Feb (?) traveling to a presidential debate.

Posted by: Susan in Saratoga at January 5, 2008 1:42 AM

###

Kathy in SC, Thanks for calling Joe and giving all of us an update. We've been so worried!

If you join the Yahoo group Friend of TB Friends then you can see pictures of Joe and Cathy.

Posted by: kathyb at January 5, 2008 1:48 AM

Our campaign to "HONOR BARBARO'S LIFE AND LEGACY" by presenting a sizeable check for the Laminitis Fund is off to a fabulous start, thanks to the generosity of so many Fans of Barbaro - we welcome your participation!

All the details are right here... OVER THE TOP FOR 1/29!

If for any reason you can't access the message through the link, feel free to email mllebutterfly@sbcglobal.net for details!

Posted by: Nancy in CT at January 5, 2008 1:52 AM

###
    OTHERLYN - I see you "think with your heart" just the way I do...I am extremely fond of Imawildandcrazyguy, and his last couple of races have been less than great! He's only a young kid (b 2/23/04) and he loves to rally from the back of the pack, but he sure didn't have any kick today.

((((((((((IMAWILDANDCRAZYGUY))))))))))

Posted by: Nancy in CT at January 5, 2008 2:09 AM

Hiya, FsOB! I followed Debbie LA's blue link and posted a blog. Should I be surprised that my submission isn't showing up? I think that Catherine O's suggestion of showing up on horseback at Huckabee rallies in SC is an awesome idea, one that should certainly get the attention of some TV crew from Columbia, SC. The FsOB are a creative, dynamic team! Wishing each of you refreshing slumbers tonight. We have so much to accomplish in 2008 (there's that magical #, 8!). Peace, RMH

#### Welcome back, Joan Roya!
    To KathyK: May you take comfort in many good memories of your dear Clancy the Pretty Girl.
    Thinking of Joe at TB Friends and Lynne B. as they weather the storms in Cali. Please be safe!
    To Kathy in SC: Happy New Year, great seeing you again.
    To Patty in Dallas: Thank you for providing more information about the animal cruelty act of Gov. Huckabee's son. That was awful - a camp counselor? What is the world coming to?
    To Kate: May your husband's infection subside quickly. Please hang in there and do let us know how he's doing this weekend, OK?
    To Sandra: Maybe a child mistreated Chief before Chief came to you? Or maybe high-pitched voices are scary to him? I'm glad that his furnace phobia has finally abated. I told Brent about Chief's "issues" with the doorbell and any knocks at the door. Those stories reminded Brent of my late highstrung Husky boy, Illya. Funny, I had thought of Illya when reading about Chief, too! ####

Posted by: Robyn Hoffmann at January 5, 2008 2:18 AM

kathy in s.c. Thanks for letting us know about Joe and Cathy and their horses. I was worried about them.

Posted by: sandra at January 5, 2008 2:31 AM

IT'S 11 O CLOCK and MIKE HUCKABEE is HERE IN SC...
    DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR HORSES ARE?

(Child holding up sign that reads)...
    MIKE HUCKABEE ATE MY PONY!

YOU SEE A KENTUCKY DERBY WINNER (sign has pic of Barbaro)...ALL MIKE SEES IS DINNER.

LOOK OUT KIDDIES!... MIKE HUCKABEE'S IN TOWN, AND HE WANTS TO EAT FLICKA!

AND THE LORD SAID...THOU SHALT NOT EAT HORSES AND MAKE AN ASS OF THYSELF...

DON'T BE LIKE MIKE...HE WILL EAT ANYTHING

MIKE HUCKABEE HAS NEVER MET A HORSE HE DIDN'T LIKE...TO EAT!

HORSES...THEY'RE WHAT'S FOR DINNER AT THE HUCKABEES...

YES, MRS JACKSON...MIKE HUCKABEE WOULD HAVE EATEN BARBARO...

HORSES, A SYMBOL OF OUR NATION'S HERITAGE...AND MIKE HUCKABEE'S FAVORITE MEAL!

GOD WILL FORGIVE THE REVEREND HUCKABEE, BUT WE WON'T!

Posted by: Pamela at January 5, 2008 2:35 AM

Oh, one more sign suggestion...

A HORSE IS A HORSE, OF COURSE, OF COURSE...
    UNLESS YOU'RE MIKE HUCKABEE...THEN IT'S AN ENTREE!

Posted by: Pamela at January 5, 2008 2:36 AM

Oh Pamela....LOL that is toooo precious for words!! What great suggestions you have!!!! Wish I was in SC...I'd sure use a few!!!!!

God has a special place in heabben for you Ms Pamela....WE LUB YOU !!!!!!

Posted by: Maribel at January 5, 2008 4:10 AM

We have some beautiful horses that could use our help in Central Illinois. Here's the thread:

AWI is accepting donations for us to pay for and transport these horses to Hooved Animal Humane Society. These are the horses that were on BUC's blog. Please donate if you can.

Margie

Posted by: Margie at January 5, 2008 4:32 AM

### Pamila...ROFLMAO... Now that was GOOD!!!!!

Love,
    Verna

Posted by: Verna1 at January 5, 2008 4:36 AM

MICHAEL VICK - OUT EARLY?

Michael Vick could be getting out of Federal prison much earlier than anticipated after applying for a prison-monitored drug rehabilitation program.

MICHAEL VICK - OUT EARLY?

Posted by: Socorro at January 5, 2008 7:48 AM

All content & images copyright © 2005-2012 Alex Brown. Designed by Nerja Web Design